More than 40 people sustained burn injuries in a firecracker mishap in Kendrapara town on Wednesday evening.
At least four of the injured are said to be critical.
Officials said the mishap occurred during a firecracker show at the immersion venue at Balia bazaar in Kendrapara district.
Also Read:Greater Noida: Man sets house of neighbour on fire following argument
“The mishap occurred when sparks from a cracker fell on a firecracker stock triggering a chain of explosion injuring all the people standing nearby,” said an official.
All the injured were rushed to Kendrapara hospital while a few of the critical ones were rushed to SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack.
Senior Congress leader Ganeswar Behera, who was at the spot said he requested chief minister Naveen Patnaik to bear all the expenses for treatment of the injured from state exchequer.